We’re all about the ingredients...
We believe that three core factors make our brownies the sumptuous, delicious product they are - the love and care that goes into making them, the way they’re beautifully presented and packaged, and the high quality ingredients that they’re made from.
Highest quality, locally sourced
Our core ingredients consist of dark chocolate, eggs, butter, sugar, gluten-free flour and baking powder. We source all of these from local suppliers to support the local economy. We’ve selected the highest quality products to ensure the best results in our baking and we think you’ll agree that it shows!
Our eggs are free-range and come from Beechwood Farm in Newbury; they’ve been producing and supplying eggs for the last 60 years. They’re as fresh as can be and you can taste the difference! The eggs are collected, graded and packed on the same day, meaning they’re delivered and ready to use much quicker than your average supermarket egg, which will go through longer processes. Beechwood Farm hens have access to the outdoors all day long and are able to express their natural behaviour - such as roaming outside, dusting bathing and roosting at night - which gives the best results.
Our butter, sugar and baking powder is all premium-quality, and we use Callebaut chocolate - the finest belgian chocolate, ideal for baking - in all our brownie recipes. Established in 1911, Callebaut sources their cocoa beans from the Ivory Coast, Ghana and Ecuador for a perfectly balanced taste and all their beans are 100% traceable to ensure sustainability and the highest quality.
All of our brownies are made with gluten-free ingredients as standard. When Laura started The Homemade Brownie Company, developing a gluten-free recipe was essential as she herself suffers from gluten intolerance. She experimented with different recipes to find the perfect one and our customers regularly verify that the taste and texture is not compromised one bit!
Gluten is a protein present in grains such as wheat, barley and rye. The most extreme form of gluten intolerance is coeliac disease, where your immune system reacts to gluten and damages the lining of your gut. The only treatment for coeliac disease is a gluten-free diet.
Gluten intolerance appears in other less severe forms too, but they still produce very unpleasant symptoms such as bloating, diarrhoea, nausea, tiredness and headaches whenever gluten is eaten. Intolerances aside, a gluten-free diet is becoming increasingly popular due to the claimed benefits of improved health, weight loss and increased energy.
Our vegan range is completely free from animal products such as dairy items and eggs. We substitute the butter and eggs from our standard recipe for almond milk and vegetable oil to maintain the right texture and consistency and an equally delicious taste. Our vegan range consists of four different flavours - Classic, Salted Caramel, Peanut Butter and Fruit & Nut.
The vegan lifestyle is on the rise. According to research conducted by the Vegan Society in 2018, there are around 600,000 vegans in Great Britain. Some choose to go vegan as they believe animal farming to be cruel and inhumane, whilst others are concerned about the effects of animal agriculture on the environment. Some simply view veganism as a healthier diet as it’s low in fat, calories and cholesterol and high in fiber and vitamins.
Health benefits of a vegan diet:
- Higher in nutrients such as fiber, antioxidants, beneficial plant compounds, potassium, magnesium, folate and vitamins A, C and E
- Can help you lose excess weight
- Appears to lower blood sugar levels and improve kidney function
- Linked to a lower risk of heart disease due to the amounts of fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes and fiber consumed
- Two studies reported that vegan participants experienced a greater improvement in symptoms such as pain, joint swelling and morning stiffness than those on an omnivorous diet
Sources: Healthline.com and pubmed.gov
Our vegan range is dairy-free, making it ideal for those with lactose intolerances or those preferring to avoid dairy products for other reasons. Lactose intolerance occurs when people are unable to properly digest lactose, a type of sugar found in milk and dairy products.
Symptoms of lactose intolerance may include stomach cramps, wind or diarrhoea a few hours after consuming food or drink containing lactose. This intolerance is caused by your body not producing enough lactase, a substance that helps you digest lactose.
Why go dairy-free?
- We don’t need dairy products in our diet, we can get the same benefits (such as calcium) from other products
- A high percentage of people are lactose-intolerant to some degree and don’t realise it; giving it up could improve your digestion and gut health
- Cutting dairy could lead to weight loss
- Eliminating dairy from your diet could improve your skin
- In an average week we currently bake 3,760 brownies! To make these, we use:
- 64kg of butter
- 83kg of chocolate
- 900 free-range eggs
- 80kg of sugar
- 48kg of gluten-free flour
- A month’s worth of our brownies would be nearly 400 metres tall if stacked!
- And over a kilometre in length if laid out in a line!
Explore our range of brownie products on offer - from our standard, gluten-free range to our fantastic vegan options. Get in touch if you have any queries about our ingredients and read our FAQ blog for additional info about our brownies!